[Regia-NA] Hedeby shoes - inside seams

Ben Pyles ishieben at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 10:50:18 EDT 2005

Any notation for toggle/ placement?

I have read in other places both the seam and toggle went on the inside...

Christina Krupp <ckrupp at uvm.edu> wrote:

>From "Die Lederfunde von Haithabu," by Willy Groenman-vanWaateringe.
Neumunster: Karl Wacholtz Verlag, 1984.

On p. 27 I found (and translated):

"The difference between left and right shoes can be determined by the
position of the side seam, which in our experience is always located on
the inner side of the foot..... in addition, in the type of shoe where
the sole is only cut separate from the upper on one side, then it's the
inside
edge of the shoe that has the sole-seam."

-- Brihtwen

list-Regia-NA site list
list-Regia-NA at lig.net