[Regia-NA] Hedeby shoes - inside seams

Christina Krupp ckrupp at uvm.edu
Thu Jun 30 09:47:01 EDT 2005

> As for the Hedeby shoes, you’ll only get the info from the Hedeby
> series of publications and get your German dictionary out.

> I have a German speaker who might be willing to help me out... :-)

Well, that's my cue!

 From "Die Lederfunde von Haithabu," by Willy Groenman-vanWaateringe.
Neumunster: Karl Wacholtz Verlag, 1984.

On p. 27 I found (and translated):

"The difference between left and right shoes can be determined by the
position of the side seam, which in our experience is always located on
the inner side of the foot..... in addition, in the type of shoe where
the sole is only cut separate from the upper on one side, then it's the
inside
edge of the shoe that has the sole-seam."

-- Brihtwen