[Regia-NA] Re: Jorvik shoes and toggles

Ben Pyles ishieben at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 21:04:44 EDT 2005

Yolli <yolli at lineone.net> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Sorry for the delay.

I’ve had a trawl and those references are pretty thin on the ground.

Thanks for your efforts :-)

Other than the Jorvik shoe, there are examples in Hedeby – these are without doubt handed shoes and the latchets are on the outside of the boot. There could be more than one example too as I don’t have the leather report which no doubt is only in German
.. Also, there is the whole upper section with three toggles like the one from Hedeby from Elisenhof ( Germany? ).

There are two boots from Middleburg just off the coast in the Netherlands. They had just one toggle also on the outside of the shoe.

Do you happen to have a citation for those beasties?

I’m pretty sure that even at York, there were I think three toggled shoes.

The York fascule on Leatherworking is what got us off on this... in it the author claims that all found lached shoes do so on the inside...

You can source most of these via Margrethe Halds Primitve Shoes. As for theHedeby shoes, you’ll only get the info from the Hedeby series of publications and get your German dictionary out.

I have a German speaker who might be willing to help me out... :-)