[Regia-NA] Re: Jorvik shoes and toggles

Yolli yolli at lineone.net
Wed Jun 29 16:18:49 EDT 2005

Sorry for the delay.

I’ve had a trawl and those references are pretty thin on the ground.

Other than the Jorvik shoe, there are examples in Hedeby – these are
without doubt handed shoes and the latchets are on the outside of the
boot. There could be more than one example too as I don’t have the
leather report which no doubt is only in German….. Also, there is the
whole upper section with three toggles like the one from Hedeby from
Elisenhof ( Germany? ).

There are two boots from Middleburg just off the coast in the
Netherlands. They had just one toggle also on the outside of the shoe.

I’m pretty sure that even at York, there were I think three toggled
shoes.

You can source most of these via Margrethe Halds Primitve Shoes. As for
theHedeby shoes, you’ll only get the info from the Hedeby series of
publications and get your German dictionary out.

Cheers, Roll.