[Regia-NA] Re: Yorvik Shoes OT but

anulf at telusplanet.net anulf at telusplanet.net
Sun Jun 19 13:22:44 EDT 2005

Oi!

Interesting about the shoes fastening on the inside.

Perhaps OT but relating to footware;  cavalry spurs normally buckle on the
outside of the foot.  OTOH, cowboy spurs, you know the buckaroo type with the
big rowel and wide strap, fasten on the inside.  I thought this odd until it
was pointed out that a cowboy, rolling out of his bedroll would be sitting on
the ground.  It is much easier to buckle up your spurs on the inside, the side
facing you than trying to twist your foot around where you still can only
reach the buckle confortably with one hand.

I've read here about pants being designed for squating or sitting on the
floor.  Purhaps shoes too were made with that thought in mind.

The other thought is that the shoes being found are "Aunt Martha's" or "Damned
Things".  You know, nobody liked them because the fastener was on the inside,
totally impractable, so the shoe went to the bottom of the trunk where it was
found intact a thousand years later.  The Arckie say, "this must be the way
shoes were made!"  But in fact they are the rejects, the "Aunt Martha"s" etc.

Just a thought!!

Anulf