[Regia-NA] Viborg Shirt neck knots?

Yolli yolli at lineone.net
Sun Jun 12 09:43:28 EDT 2005

Hi Nick,

I can say that the Viborg shirt is no light undertaking. I’ve sewn up
two, one of which went to Jorvik and I’ve never seen it since… They
needed it for some interpreters and they have probably eaten it.

Anyway the question at hand.

The knots at the neck are not knots but ‘loops’. The neck tape cleverly
taken from the selvedge so that it’s folded just twice and attached,
runs from the back of the neck around the square hole for your head, to
– let’s say your left collar bone. Put a loop in it and carry on
attaching it to the neck flap and run it off the end. This is then
passed through the opposite loop in the area of your right collar bone
and pop a little half hitch at its end point. Do the same with the other
tape in the opposite direction so that the two neck flaps sit one on top
of the other. Clear as mud I guess.

My latest version is probably made from linen that’s too heavy. I have
never pinched the false seams that locate the chest and back, and
instead just used a running stitch to fix it in place. Trying to pinch
it before the running stitch was sewn in was just too problematic for
me, shifting things all out of kilter. Getting the arms mixed up is a
good trick too – oh how I laughed at silly old me…

I followed the cutting pattern so that all the selvedge’s are in the
correct positions etc, etc and copied all the stitches used too.

My real problem is that to make the pattern fit, I needed to enlarge the
shirt by 15% to allow for my girth back then and shrinkage in the wash.
But, even though the neck hole is tight – 11.5cm square when enlarged –
with the knots on the ends of the neck tape, I couldn’t get the shirt
over my head. I don’t look like the Mekon of a Tefal head, nor a pin
head. It just wouldn’t slide over my 6 and 7/8ths bonce. My only
solution was to lengthen the neck tape by 20cms on each end. So, what
size head did the original owner possess?

I’m doing a Bocksten tunic right now after completing a Thorsberg ( very
odd shoulders… ) and a Reepsholt. May do a Kragelund now that some more
info has come to light and if my fingers can cope, I’ll have a go at the
Bernuthsfeld.

Cheers, Roll.