[Regia-NA] Methers, Cauldrons, and Skillets

Conall conallwolf at multipro.com
Sat Jun 11 03:54:30 EDT 2005

Greetings all,
    I am coming out of the email shadows hoping that some of you can help me
with some research that I am trying to do regarding some early Irish
cookware and a drinking vessel.

    First, I am trying to find out about something called a "mether" cup.
It is a four-sided wooden vessel from early Ireland, usually about 8 inches
tall and about six inches wide, with a wooden handle on all four sides.  The
name "mether" may originate from the word for "measure"; it may originally
have been a vessel for measurement.

       I am trying to provenance what the *earliest* date for these objects
is.  I have pictures of one from Dunhallow in Co. Cork and another in a
"coffee table book".  Is there any evidence for these being in use during
the 9th-11th Centuries?  Can anyone out there point me at some better