[Regia-NA] Final Details Torvik event June 24 - 27 in Ontario, Canada

Linda Rice vmaa2 at cox.net
Sun Jun 5 11:21:01 EDT 2005

I was asked to pass along this event announcement. While the trainers are from the Glasgow Vikings,
this event is open to anyone who wants to attend a good Living History event. People from several
different groups will be there, including Regia.

Contact Kelly at torvik_info at yahoo.com for more information.

TorVik is hosting its second weapons training weekend at Sidrabene
and all Viking Age enthusiasts are invited to attend, June 24th to
June 27th.

Camp Sidrabene is located 45 minutes west of Toronto and one hour
north east of Niagara Falls.

Our training schedule this year will include: basic and advanced
combat, combat formation and display, basic and advanced spear, dane
axe and for a bit of fun combat archery.  Trainers will be Aeneas,
Boj and Mark from the Glasgow Vikings, Deryck from
TorVik.   Boj, in addition to be being an RTT for the Glasgow Vike,
is the owner of Armour Class Swords
( http://www.armourclass.co.uk/ ) .   Helms, padded or armoured gloves
and weapon are required to take part in any combat.  While authentic
kit is preferred, please note that this event is open to all.  If you
are just starting out or want to see what steel fighting is about you
are more than welcome.

On Saturday June 25th, a public show will take place as part of the St. John's Day/
Midsummer's festivities at Sidrabene.  Last year 1000 people attended
the event and we are expecting the same or more this year!  The show
will be MC'd by the Honourary Consul to Latvia, Imants Purvs.  After
the show the festivities will continue with traditional Latvian folk
songs and performance by Dizdancis a folk dance troupe.  The evening will
continue with a live band, dance and end with fireworks.  To take
part in the show you must have passed basic combat and have
appropriate authentic clothing.

At our event last year we had one independent documentarian, this
year we will have two.  ShanProductions will continue filming for her
film The New Vikings, which is looking at re-enactors and why we do
what we do.  Also, maeproductions, will be filming the event looking
at re-enactors with a Baltic focus.  For a brief look at what Reet
Mae has put together so far please see
http://maeproductionsinc.com/vikings/reenactments.mov  .  This was
filmed at our event in February.  Please note that this clip will
drain the bandwidth and is only a temporary link.

The camp will be set up as  "authentic" and  "modern", with Living
History demonstrations, crafts and skills on display and items for
sale.  All meals are provided for attendees.  Hot shower facilities
are on site.

For insurance purposes, you must be registered to attend this event!
To register please email torvik_info at yahoo.com

Looking forward to renewing friendships and making new ones.

TorVik-
Efeja, Eitri, Feilan, Fish, Ogmund and Talivaldis