[Regia-NA] Looking for braie and Hosse pattern for Norman XI century

Douglas Sunlin dsunlin at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:20:29 EDT 2005

Bonjour!

The current thinking (at least in this head) is that men's legwear was of
some variation of the 3-piece set you describe - a pair baggy linen shorts
or briaes, plus two leggings or chausses or hosen of wool or some other
stuff. This is based on how legs in manuscript illustrations appear as well
as the appearance of trousers versus the chausses combo. I am aware that
trousers can be pulled up to appear as if they are chausses, but surely folk
in that day didn't spend their mornings trying to look like manuscript
illustrations! ;)

On manræden,
Osweald of Baldurstrand
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/California_Viking_Age