[Regia-NA] BBC NEWS | Magazine | The real sound of Shakespeare?

rmhowe mmagnusm at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 19 18:58:06 EDT 2005

Remember when I said the NC coastal areas came closest
to the Queen's English? Now the Globe Theater does too.

Although I would say that with the influx of other folks
to build summer homes in that area I do expect such
things to be rather uncommon and disappearing as
quickly as many dialects with the proliferation of
television and movies:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4694993.stm>

I rather suspect most of this dialect is confined
to the less accessible areas in the northern banks
areas of the coast. The smaller fishing villages.
West and north of them they have the Great Dismal
Swamp (I haven't heard of anyone seeing the ghost
ship sailing through it for a long time but it is
certainly in the NC legends).

Magnus