[Regia-NA] Fort Mac 2005

Douglas Sunlin dsunlin at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:00:59 EDT 2005

Well, as I write this, I am recovering from another great show. :)

Ottar (Jack Garrett), Aelfwynn (Jan Ward), Osweald (Douglas Sunlin), Robert
(Ben Pyles) and Owyn (Adam Pettygrew), as well as Jan's husband Jack Ward
(keeper of the camera and watch) have all returned from the Los Angeles area
and a successful (fourth year!) appearance at the annual Old Fort MacArthur
military reenactment show.

This was our largest Ft Mac turnout yet. The living history display and
combat displays were great, earning us many compliments from reenactors in
other groups, as well as from Members of the Public. Ottar's shade structure
proved itself worth the small bother in setting it up by providing ample
shade, allowing us to ignore the sun and concentrate on the matter at hand.

It was very interesting when Stephen from a neighboring group shot a
bodkin-tipped arrow through a riveted-mail shirt. The result made for a
provocative display. Owyn arrived without shoes, but quickly crafted a pair
of pampooties from some leather that he and Robert borught along.

It was a privilege to meet Jan and see her textiles presentation; the
"distaff" side is often under-represented at such events.

Having lively young (and skilled!) combat wombats like Owyn (sp?) and Robert
along really kicked butt. I missed the final event on Sunday, where people
from all the non-gunpowder groups did a mock charge on the ACW shooters,
most of them falling down on cue. I wish I had taken pictures of that.

In addition, we met many enthusiastic people, members of the public, some
just to look, learn and share, and a good number who were excited to see our
encampment and showing interest in joining.

So, overall, a really satisfying event. I want to thank everyone who came
and participated.

Osweald