[Regia-NA] Film "The Vikings" trivia.

Kim Siddorn kim.siddorn at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 21:53:46 EST 2005

Yerst. If you can find a copy of the book "The Longships" by Frans G.
Begnsson, I strongly recommend it to you - a really good read, the film of
the same name only taking a single thread of a very complex story and
embroidering it somewhat.

For a really good laugh, look out for the feature film "The Norseman" which
included every cliché about Vikings ever thought of and starred the Six
Million Dollar Man.

The ship replica was its only saving grace - except it had a "downstairs"
with head clearance for a six footer, deck beams and (god help me) lighting

As re-enactors, we quite seriously owe "The Vikings" - the feature film, you
understand, not a superficially similar society to our own - a tremendous
debt of gratitude as it raised the profile of this period of European
history at exactly the right moment for a generation of kids that went on to
become re-enactors. I for one am truly grateful to the costume designer who
might have had a penchant for wide belts and hairy leg bindings but eschewed
the horned helmet!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn