[Regia-NA] Martin & Clare's wedding

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 28 03:59:31 EDT 2004

Kim Siddorn wrote:
> We all had a great time, the weather was reasonable running into pleasant -
> it didn't rain anyway ;o)) - and the whole thing ran like clockwork.
>
> Nice to see that so many of Regia scrubbed up well and seeing Paddy in a
> tail suit was worth going on it's own!

That was amazing, particularly the pretty reredos and the getaway car.

We were smart enough not to park ours anywhere near the church
and took someone else's home before we departed for Williamsburg/
Jamestown/Yorktown on our honeymoon. Hey, you cannot have sex all
the time. You have to eat, rest, and walk about a bit too. We did
stand on a dock above a cofferdam watching one of Cornwallis' ships
being excavated in the James river there as literally miles of
mullet swam beneath us north along the coast about thirty abreast.
This would be the one time I didn't have a mullet cast net with
me too. Never seen so many in migration in my life. A river of
fish in the sea. Wow. The Apostles must have dropped a net on
one of these rivers of fish.

> Many congratulations to the happy couple and all our best wishes for the
> years to come.
>
> Lots of pictures to process, but you can see the first of them now at
>
> "Martin & Clare's wedding" here
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/kimsiddorn/4

Martin certainly was clutching that official government sanction
to have sex/reproduce carefully. I bet not a corner got creased either.
Probably already framed behind double thick tru-site glass done
up in a fancy red and gold frame.

Since Anne and I have different last names ours ended up wallet
sized in case of necessity to prove relationship. Not sure where
the big one is.

Ian certainly looks fancy in a suit. Who could have imagined?
Probably fit right well into a future Sherlock Holmes film.
I think he needs a good sword cane amd spats myself.
I see Hazel is up and about now too, which is good certainly.

> Have a look now and come back later for more! I'll post when I've finished.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kim Siddorn
>
> Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought,
> maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

I fully realize that this is in Aenglisch English - can you
unravel it a bit and let the North Americans in on the funny?

Plates spun? Is this a euphemism for washing them as opposed
to licking them clean? Somehow I cannot imagine you as a
plate juggler.

I shan't ask about the last as I am hearing ethereal female
giggles whenever I imagine that great beard.

At the beginning of one of our local large feasts the hunk of
roast beef came to the table first. Knowing that this is a
perennial carving problem we had secured a pair of antler
handled victorian carving tools with "By Appointment Cutlers
to Her Majesty" [Victoria] upon the knife. After slicing the
first of many courses to come (three or four meats plus two
or more breads and pies are not unusual at feast here)
Tom took the noice knoife (see I know a bit of English)
and carefully licked it well twice up each side of the blade
and handed it back. - That man has a tongue like a cow.-
The wife must love him. But we didn't. Not then anyway.
Needless to say it was not reused that evening and we're a bit
more careful whom we sign up to eat next to now. ;(
We now carry two large dining knives for carving at table.

The Tuchux we ate with at our happy table Saturday night used it
and then went and -washed- it. Manners are seen in the most
unexpected places.  Who could have imagined? Then again this
Hordebrother and that Tuchuck both publicly stand up to a local
nasty SCA Duke. He won't let him fight at any practices he marshalls.
So we are allies of a sort. That Duke has lost a lot of credibility
since and crowns have refused him entry into Crown Tourney as
unfit to succeed them. That must be hard to explain.
Things are nicer here now.  Much noicer indeed.

I did ask the Tuchuck what became of the one [of four] knocked
out while they were beating the bejezzus out of that glowstick
with big sticks while yelling "bad juju!" one evening.
This had been witnessed by some of my Hordebrothers at Pennsic.
He wouldn't say, but he did confirm there were doctors and
surgeons amongst them as I'd heard.
Something about "Possible sub-dural hematoma" had been heard
when they'd peeled his eyes back before the several remaindered
Dogs recommenced to beat the poor inoffensive glowstick.
Perhaps that isn't a rumor they like bandied about. I can't say.
It did occaision some seriously knitted eyebrows when I asked
that question. [He sort of resembles the "Rock" Dwayne Johnson.
If you don't know who the Rock is from professional wrestling
think the recent movies the Scorpion King, Walking Tall or
Rundown.] Cheers to who fights this guy at Pennsic because
he's nearly as big. Well, if you cannot tease tough guys what's
the point. I usually figure teasing anything less than an
SCA Duke isn't worth the humor payout for the effort involved. :)

On a positive note a young bumpy (f) Hordebrother just moved
here to work in the Chapel Hill oncology unit. She brought her
Australian Horde Watchee fellow with her. I've never seen so many
watch cords hung on one belt. Many sponsors. Seems he likes
wrangling -single- humped camels and plans to start doing it
here too. We have two zoos in the area now. Whether it will be
there or elsewhere I don't know. Australians are an admirable
lot. To think the Brits tossed all the early ones. This one was of
good Scotish extraction. I knew we had one brother in Antarctica
but had no idea we had an Australian watchee. One was flying
airforce artillery suppression over Kosovo and one retired who
was formerly in the Seal Team attached directly to the Joint
Chiefs of Staff. He was Baron here when he retired. They get around. :)
Now one is editor of Tournaments Illuminated, the SCA's Chronicle.

When Anne and I were dating she once closed her eyes to smooch me
and [being me] I curled in my lower lip bringing a veritable
hedgehog of beard and moustache hairs into play.
Sputter was a good way to describe the reaction.
Honestly she must have thought she'd kissed a great
hairy Tarantula from the reaction. Tickled it did.
Treasure that look for a long time.

Then again I used to gently bite her on the nose from time to
time. Her proud little victory was to blow hard once.
"Taste different to ya?" and she grinned like the Cheshire Cat.
Well, yes it did, and after that I amused myself nipping
and blowing suddenly at her cowlick from time to time instead,
what with herself being all of five feet short and me being 6'3".
This was a good bit safer.

It's sort of beyond those elbows. Married a veritable bag full
of elbows I did. Really. Sometimes I am also really grateful for
them as when I cramp up and need acupressure. She learned this
watching me be stuck full of acupuncture needles many times.
Up to 3" deep along the spine. The Doctor said the muscles
there were so hard it felt like pushing through bone the first
few months.
Never saw her drop a single tear during the process either. ;)
She likes embroidery she does but she is not empathic.
Sympathetic yes.

Martin, marriage is generally better than the alternative.
If the kids don't drive you nuts you'll likely live longer.
Might not be as Jolly, but you'll live longer. I figure
I'm up a good ten years now.

I bet no one told you you get crazier with each anniversary
did they?

Magnus, getting close to twenty.