[Regia-NA] Greetings from a newbie

John Michalski jmichal2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 20:35:25 EDT 2004

Hello, my name is John Michalski and my wife and I
live in Milwaukee, WI.

For someone who has been interested in ancient,
medieval and renaissance history for more years than I
care to recall, I am very new to this whole
Anglo-Saxon thing (I'm ashamed to say that I actually
used to be one of those folks who thought that England
was a total backwater until 1066! Mea culpa!!)

Anyway, I'm a newly minted seminarian in the US
Episcopal Church, and have become more interested in
this period of history because it's the roots of my
church, AND because it was the A-S church that
mediated much of ancient Christianity to later
England, and set the tone for that particular church
in later centuries.

So my big interests now are the culture and
spirituality of England from, say 650 to 1066 AD,
especially regarding holidays, festivals and the
ritual year. Right now I'm reading Ronald Hutton's
'The Stations of the Sun', and am looking for other
good books on the topic. I'll be interested in any
input the group may have about this area...other than
that, it looks like it could be a lot of fun!

Talk to you all later.

John