[Regia-NA] The Nasal: What's it for?

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Sun May 16 22:38:45 EDT 2004

Martin Field wrote:
> Hi Douglas
> I agree with your sentiments about there not being many scholarly debates  -
> I sometimes wonder what new members think once they have signed on - perhaps
> we could get some feedback from them.

I think I found the main Regia list to be less informative than the
Regia-NA list. Sometimes we do have excellent discussions. Less local
chit-chat and news about local events - more about actual questions.

> Regarding yout helmet question I wonder if somehow you are attempting to
> reconcile the existence of nasels with only swordsmanship or spearmanship.
> If I was going into battle I would be 'resourceful' - meaning that if there
> was a means to disable or compromise the fighting ability of your opponent
> then I would take it.

Like spears coming in at the legs from someone behind you toward your
opponent. The SCA doesn't allow anything below one inch above the knee,
whereas in period real combat the legs would be a prime target.

> That would include smashing your shield (or fist for that matter) hard into
> your opponent's face and preferably the nose as that is particulary
> disabling - that would bring tears to his eyes thus reducing visability.

Actually a broken nose (easily achievable by a sideways blow to it -
will temporarily blind your opponent and if he survives it will at
least turn him into a racoon with two blackened eyes for a month or
so.  Seen it several times in real life.

> It's a matter of using your shield not only as a means of protection but
> knowing when to use it as a weapon (shieldwork).

One of the Conquest early period shows on sword and shield had a guy
with a convex shield who -really- knew how to work it. A lot of earlier
shield bosses were designed for offensive and defensive combat.
They were not all rounded by any means. The boss was used to punch
with from at least Roman times. Right to the face.

I should imagine (I have a background in moldmaking for vacuum forming
of plastic) that a convex mold used with wood veneers and a vacuum
bag (this would produce 15 pounds per square inch pressure) could
glue up some efficient curved shields. Cutting arced wedges of
wood veneers and overlapping them (to be later covered with leather
or linen) would probably work quite well with this method which is
being used more and more to fabricate modern furniture parts.
Woodshop News is one publication that frequently carries advertisements
for vacuum bagging supplies and veneers.

Basswoood (european limewood) is something I have worked in quite
a lot. It has a certain soft, punky quality that makes it good
for carving and accepting blows when adequately reinforced.
They likely carved some of theirs out judging from the illustrations
of things like the Sutton Hoo shield.

Magnus