[Regia-NA] The Nasal: What's it for?

Martin Field marfield66 at sympatico.ca
Sat May 15 22:24:38 EDT 2004

Hi Douglas
I agree with your sentiments about there not being many scholarly debates  -
I sometimes wonder what new members think once they have signed on - perhaps
we could get some feedback from them.
Regarding yout helmet question I wonder if somehow you are attempting to
reconcile the existence of nasels with only swordsmanship or spearmanship.
If I was going into battle I would be 'resourceful' - meaning that if there
was a means to disable or compromise the fighting ability of your opponent
then I would take it.
That would include smashing your shield (or fist for that matter) hard into
your opponent's face and preferably the nose as that is particulary
disabling - that would bring tears to his eyes thus reducing visability.
It's a matter of using your shield not only as a means of protection but
knowing when to use it as a weapon (shieldwork).
Cheers
Martin