[Regia-NA] The Nasal: What's it for?

Jack Garrett garrett at pacbell.net
Sun May 16 14:23:18 EDT 2004

I agree with the other comments about a nasal guard being helpful for diagonal cuts directed toward the face.  The other thing I'd add can be seen pretty effectively in some of the massed battle scenes from "Troy".  When two large forces collide, it resembles nothing as much as a rugby scrum with shields and pointy things.  A lot of pushing, shoving, grunting and stabbing where you can.  Little room for well-aimed strokes against an obligingly unmoving opponent.  I suspect those of you who have fought Regia-style might agree that in closer, crowded, quarters much of what happens is not exactly what you had in mind.

A thought about cheek plates:  a few years ago I pointed out to my brother that many early helmets had cheek protection, but the Roman helmets pointedly reduced part of the width of theirs to leave the ears open.  He replied, "Of course.  They had to be able to hear orders be able to move so effectively as a unit."  Had never thought about that.

Jack/Ottar

Douglas Sunlin <dsunlin at hotmail.com> wrote:
We haven't had a good scholarly debate on this list for a while, so I'd like
to open up a question that has puzzled me for some time. The helmets of our
period seemed to have featured nasals. I am wondering, what purpose did they
serve? The obvious answer is "to protect your nose", but notice that few if
any blows would be aimed directly for your nose. Sword strokes would impact
mostly at the unprotected side of the head, spears thrusts might be
deflected, but only directly into the eyes, which wouldn't be much better.

Any clues? Why not have "side-burns" guards as in some of the Roman helmets?

On manræden,
Osweald of Baldurstrand
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/California_Viking_Age
http://www.geocities.com/baldurstrand/