[Regia-NA] Boots/Socks for the Geteld images...

Jon Smith cynewulf at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 4 07:54:26 EDT 2004

Some options I thought of just looking at it..

1) They could be the long white boots you see on some byzantine manuscripts.
2) They could be small shoes or sandals worn over white socks.
3) The white socks could be puttee like bindings - a late roman example of
these has been found (basically a large rectangle of cloth with ties at top
and bottom that you just wrap around the leg (on my list of things to make
:o) for early Saxon stuff).

Finally - there appear to be a couple of them wearing knee garters.

Jon