[Regia-NA] Geteld Poles

jim smithur at rcn.com
Thu Jun 3 17:27:38 EDT 2004

Hello,
Speaking of Getelds, a new member of our SCA
household
wants to build a Geteld.  The rest of our household
all
have viking A-frames, and used the plans I got from
re-enactment group in Iceland.  However, I do not
have
any building plans for a Geteld.  Can someone send
me
some plans or tell me where I can find some on the
net?

Also, what color canvas would be period looking?  We
will be
using commercialy made canvas, and the person who we
will
be making the tent for wants colored canvas walls.
I was
originally asked if blue and black would work, but I
said
that wouldn't be period, and so was asked about
ble/red.
Is there any color combos that would work?

Smithur

Patchett
> Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 4:43 PM
> To: Regia_UK; Regia
> Cc: edward at regia.ca
> Subject: [Regia-NA] Geteld Poles
>

> Greetings from Canada.
>
> I need to replace the tent poles for our Geteld,
having had
> one of the
> existing poles split this past weekend. ( the
spruce prototypes )

> I'm planning to buy ash lumber, about 2 1/2" X 1
1/2"
> rectangular, and
> planing the corners so that they are more
"octagonal" in shape.

> We are thinking about decorating the uprights by
painting
> them a solid
> colour ( probably white ) and then adding a vine
pattern
> on one of the long sides.  We are planning to
leave the ridge pole
> plain, save for the ends where they stick out of
the tent, which will
> have Bayeux-tapestry style beasts.
>
> Does this fit with Regia's current picture of what
a Geteld
> should look
> like?  Any suggestions or comments are welcome,
but we need
> to buy new
> wood soon, so the poles can be ready for 2
weekends from now.