[Regia-NA] Geteld Poles

Steve Etheridge seibhyrt at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:25:09 EDT 2004

>I need to replace the tent poles for our Geteld, having had one of the
>existing poles split this past weekend. ( the spruce prototypes

>We are thinking about decorating the uprights by painting them a solid
>colour ( probably white ) and then adding a vine pattern
>on one of the long sides.  We are planning to leave the ridge pole plain,
>save for the ends where they stick out of the tent, which will have
>Bayeux-tapestry style beasts.

I can't think of anyone in Regia who has decorated tent poles (for a non Vik
tent), but I may be wrong.  It all depends on wether you believe that geteld
poles went with the tent (as they must have done with the Vike tents - but
were they boat tents?), or were they scavenged from local timber.  If the
first, then they may have been decorated.  If the latter, then probably not.

Of course, the only part of the poles that we actually know about for sure
are the bits that stick out of the end.  Everything else is educated
guesswork.  I tend to be a little wary of decorating stuff about which we
are only guessing.  Most of the pictures of Getelds that I have seen appear
to show simple poles sticking out of the ends - even when the fabric is
decorated.  If anyone knows different, let me know!  Of course, the level of
decoration on the manuscript may not reflect the actual level of decoration
on an original.  Alas, no originals survive.

I would also suspect that the poles would be much shorter lived than the
tent - wood is cheap to shape compared to fibre!

Hope this helps

Steve