[Regia-NA] incipient IL-Wi branch

HearthstoneArts at aol.com HearthstoneArts at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 02:23:47 EDT 2004

Thank you, for the response.

>Hello! I am Folki Thorgilsson (Folo Watkins), who is trying to get the
>Wi-Il group off the ground! If there's anyone else in Wisconsin or
>Illinois, drop me a line please!

I am familiar with who you are. You may not know who I am, but you will
probably recognize the things we make, when you see them. Our knotwork on ceramics
is quite distinctive and there don't appear to be others doing anything quite
like it at this time. We've been merchanting at SCA events for a while and
made several items for the Regalia, both Midrealm and Northshield. We don't have
a web site yet, but I am working on it and hope to have it ready before July
10th. My wife and I have been members of SCA for several years here in Midrealm
and I began my association with the organization in 1977 in Caid. Needless to
say, there have been a lot of changes over the years. My SCA name is Lord
Robert Grey of Nottingham. My wife is Anne Grey.

>Good luck at Bristol. Karen Bergquist, a member of the royal court, is an
>old friend and also an expect in Anglo-Saxon costuming. If you have a
>chance to see her, say Folo sez hey!

Thank you, I shall look her up. Do you happen to know who she plays? We know
quite a few people from court and have the great benefit of having a patroness
to start off our Bristol careers with. She is a lovely person, very kind and
generous and we are most greatful to be artisans for her. Perhaps you are
aquainted, Lady Anne Sackville, Baroness d'Acre?

> I'm working on a web page for the unnamed Wi-Il group, and
>may very well start a mailing list for the people in IL and WI so they can
>discuss Regia matter only having to do with those states. Feedback about
>these matters are greatly appreciated! We are putting out feelers to NWTA
>and other living-history groups and recruiting among the more
>accuracy-conscious Scadians.

I have always loved research, our personal library here at home can attest to
that. We do an enormous amount of research for a variety of things, our
business being just one of them. My wife and I both sew, leather work, embroider
and bead, to name a couple of our hobbies. We enjoy making our own clothing for
events and make just about everything else, too, for that matter. However, we
are not alone in these ventures (business, SCA, Regia or other). Our
particular little clan is really just that. My sister and her husband live a few blocks
from us. They are a part of our business and they have a two year old that
has been attending events since before he was born. They are expecting their
second right after Bristol. So, by the end of the year, there will be 6 of us in
the group.

Back to the subject of research. I also write historical fiction with my
wife. Our first book was published in late 2000. We have a trilogy that we're
working on set in 990 to 1015 C.E. Northumbria (among other projects). We've done
a huge amount of research regarding the economice, politics, religion, ethnic
diversity and resources for the period. Details are very important to us. If
you watch the Midrealm or Northshield lists you will probably notice that most
of my posts are regarding reference material that people are looking for. I
try very hard to share what ever I can with whom ever needs it. The actual
politics and awards issues that come up don't really interest me. Information is
what I love and I've watched the RA in England for years with an envious eye
towards their focus on details and often remarked to my wife that it was a shame
there wasn't a branch available for this side of the pond. Nice to see that is
changing.

Tell me, where would you want to meet? Diving long distances in the winter
can be quite problematic, as I am sure you are aware. We're about 1hr. 45min.
from Chicago. If I recall, you're south of there. I've heard from a fellow in
Milwaukee. He's not too far away from us. But, IL is a *long* state and the
southern tip is quite a stretch. Would it be better to have a loose group of IL/WI
temporarily until membership increases to split them up? Or, does it matter?
I mean, we do go to a lot of SCA events in IL (upcoming Jubilee in Peoria, for
example). But, for regular meetings it would quite difficult. Just thought
I'd ask.

Well, that's about it for me. Keep me posted and let me know how things are
going.

With keen interest,
Mike