[Regia-NA] [Fwd: [SCA-AS] Spiffing up your Pennsic (Lillies, Gulf, Estrella, GWW, etc...) Encampment]

rmhowe MMagnusM at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 3 14:33:01 EDT 2004

As long as we are discussing furniture in the following post
I might note here that a couple of years ago I had some out
of copyright articles on Medieval English Chests sent to
Jack Thompson of the Caber Press so he could reprint them as
they were very detailed on construction of some of the many
chests, and that they covered about five centuries if you
include the pictures of highly ornate chests
included from the second article in the back. They came with
rubbings of the carvings from the first article so you could
duplicate them. I don't profit from the sale of the books, but
they were too good and useful not to reprint as I have found the
constructional details nowhere else in the hundreds of books on
woodworking I own. If you are interested in the
modestly priced book of about 110 pages plus the rubbings contact
tlc at teleport.com .  He also has one on Ancient Locks and Keys
including some medieval examples, a bibliography on further sources,
and various books on medieval leather articles, inks, hornworking,
etc. All are reasonably priced.
Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, OR  97217

503/735-3942  (voice/fax)
tcl at teleport.com
http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/ 1/03
http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/
http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/caber.htm 1/03

http://home.teleport.com/~tcl/CaberPress_web.pdf

Also Norm Larson of Norm Larson Books reprinted The Mastermyr Find:
A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland for $18 plus $2 shipping within
the U.S.A. (Elsewhere would differ). This is the largest find of
medieval tools in context and includes woodworking, metalworking,
jewelry, and cooking tools (a Cauldron and a folding hanging fishgrill)
as well as details of the chest itself and its lock.
Norm Larson Books,
5426 E. Hwy 246, Lompoc, CA 93436.
  Fax 805-735-8367, Ph 800-743-4766
  Postage is $2 for first book
  plus $.50 for each additional book to a maximum of $5.00
larbooks at impulse.net

Master Magnus Malleus, OL, SCA; Manx; Regia.org; Great Dark Horde
*** Please do not repost to usenet newsgroups ***
Your local elist, be it kingdom, canton or shire, or friends are
fine. Reason: newsgroups tend to have spam robots stripping them
for addresses and often very argumentative people.
This would include the Rialto - rec.org.sca.
You may reprint anything I send for local newsletters.

Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon may feel differently.
Contact her if in doubt.