[Regia-NA] World Cat--Research tool

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 11:56:06 EDT 2004

This was posted on an SCA list by Nancy Spies, who
does lots of textile research for her books. She says
"in the US", but then says it asks for zip-code,
province, or country, so I suspect it's worth trying
out for people in Canada and perhaps other places as
well. They do call it "WorldCat". I live in a small
town and rely heavily on interlibrary loan (ILL) to
find stuff. Anything that can make the wait shorter is
a good thing  as far as I'm concerned.
Jan/AElfwyn/Edwinna

WorldCat, a program that allows you to find the
location of a book in
academic libraries in the US, is now available through
Google.
WorldCat gives you
academic, university libraries, not public libraries.

1. Type in the title of your book in inverted commas,
i.e. "Italy,
Sicily,
and the Mediterranean".

2. On the search results list, look for the entry that
starts "Find In
Library" and go there.

3. You'll be asked to enter a postal code, province,
or country.  (And
apparently it is remembered, because now I just have
to type in the
book title
without reentering the zip code every time.)

4. You will then get a list of the local academic
libraries that have
that
book.  For example, I live in northern Maryland: the
list of libraries
that have
the book on Italy includes ones in Maryland, DC,
Delaware, PA, and VA.

This is a truly awesome research tool.

Please pass this message to everyone and anyone who
might be
interested.

Nancy