[Regia-NA] source for linen webbing

Linda Rice vmaa2 at cox.net
Wed Jul 21 09:01:12 EDT 2004

Wow, what a fun project!

I have no idea where to find linen webbing, but I get all my hemp (better than linen!) from
www.hemptraders.com
They have rope in several diameters, you might try some in the smaller diameter to make a "string
girth" similar to modern western saddle girths. Or, you could get a yard or two of the heavy hemp
canvas and sew a wide flat girth yourself.  (Check the width of the canvas, it usually runs between
50 and 60") If you have never handled hemp rope, it gets very soft and nice the more it is handled.
Plus, it is very strong and rot resistant too!

As far as iron rings, buckles etc, do you have a blacksmith's guild in your area? If so, try
contacting them.  If not, I'm sure there must be something out there on the web. ;o)  (Google and
Ebay are our friends!)

Years ago I had a canvas girth for the english saddle, so I guess it's possible that they are still
made someplace. You would have to modify the ends probably, though.

HTH,