[Regia-NA] Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself.

Patchett patchett at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 19 08:02:06 EDT 2004

Hi there Dave,

Welcome to our little list.  My name's Beth and I live in Ontario, along
with both my husband and 5 year old, both of whom are also involved in
Regia.

> My wife would very much like to meet some ladies (or even men for that
> matter!) that do a lot of clothing....she's made a fair amount of Ren
> Faire garb, but I'd like to see her learn a few more period ways to sew.

I do a fair bit of sewing and textile research, and I wouldn't mind if
you wanted to contact me to talk about period techniques and such.  You
can also check out a couple of decent article on clothing, including
stitch techniques, that I wrote at

http://www.regia.ca/articles.htm

> I have dabbled in armouring, nothing spectacular, just a couple
> shields and some spaulders, I hate mail, I dont have the patience for
> it (butted or riveted) but I would like to make some lamellar at some
> point, and a spangenhelm.

Mark, my husband, is the armourer in the family.  He's done quite a few
helms, shield bosses, and elbows and knees (OK we don't use them, but
there is a market).  You can check out his helmet gallery
http://www.regia.ca/images/helms/index.html

>  That's about it for me....I'm still learning, but I've got a better
> grasp on the viking age than most do I hope, and I'd love to meet more
> people who have forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

We're all still learning, no matter how long you've been at it.  I think
it's part of the fun.

Talk to you soon
Beth