[Regia-NA] Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself.

Dave dave_womble at verizon.net
Sun Jul 18 09:22:20 EDT 2004

Hey all, I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I just signed up for the list.

My name is Dave Womble, I live in Laconia, New Hampshire, married with 2 kids, I'm 28 years old. My passion and area of interest are the Vikings, specifically 10th century Danes, but the Migration period on up to Hastings, and all vikings and their contemporaries are of interest to me. I'm interested in hooking up with some folks relativly close to me who may practice some of the crafts the vikings and their neighbors did. Wood and stone carving, (does anyone still make soapstone cookware?) smithing (tools, housewares, armour and weapons), silver and gold work, weaving, etc etc.

My wife would very much like to meet some ladies (or even men for that matter!) that do a lot of clothing....she's made a fair amount of Ren Faire garb, but I'd like to see her learn a few more period ways to sew.

I am a forum moderator for the Arador Armour Library, that's where I spend most of my online time, I also frequent the Armour Archive. I am not a member of the SCA, and not really sure I want to be....based on what I've seen and the comments I've read on various boardsI dont think the SCA is quite what I'm looking for. I have never been involved with any sort of living history or re-enactment group. Back in 1996-97 I was part of Plymouth State College's (now University) Medieval Society, but I was young and ignorant back then...I've since focused my interests, matured a bit and have managed to collect a decent library of related books.

I have dabbled in armouring, nothing spectacular, just a couple shields and some spaulders, I hate mail, I dont have the patience for it (butted or riveted) but I would like to make some lamellar at some point, and a spangenhelm.

That's about it for me....I'm still learning, but I've got a better grasp on the viking age than most do I hope, and I'd love to meet more people who have forgotten more than I'll ever learn.

kind regards,

Dave Womble