[Regia-NA] Windsock banners?

Martin Field marfield66 at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 17 23:14:50 EDT 2004

Hi Douglas
This is a tricky illustration.
The women that would have woven this would perhaps not be familiar with
windsocks and would be acting on oral orders just to add one in to emphasis
this is where an important figure (King Harold) is.
Looking at the front legs these appear to go against aerodynamic pinciples
unless these are fixed with wires.
The size also appears suspect - again I think this windsock was down-sized
for the frame and the main purpose was to serve as one of the visual keys
that this is where the King is.
Have you read Jan Messent's 'Bayeux Tapestry Embroiderer's Story ? Ahem,
sorry for the plug !!  ;-)
Cheers
Martin