Alternate histories, was RE: [Regia-NA] Have a Happy.....:-)

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 5 14:15:57 EDT 2004

There is an author, Randall Garrett, who wrote several
books in a series where history changed at the time of
Richard I. Richard had a change of heart, came back to
England and settled in to be a good King.  In the 20th
C, the Plantagenet empire is facing off against the
Austrian (Holy Roman Empire). Moctezuma XX-something
is Prince of North America, which is a part of the
Plantagenet Empire.  Roger Bacon or someone formulated
laws of magic, and it is taken for granted, like
electricity today. They have trains, but no planes.

I don't think we would have been civilized enough to
let the first Moctezuma's reign endure.  One way or
another, we'd have taken it all away from them.
One of my history classes talked about Europeans
coming from a place where "limited good" was a
reality, and setting up homes and businesses where
there seemed to be no end of "good". Enough land,
trees, mineral resources, game, etc., for everybody,
for as long as they could conceive in the future.
After a hundred years of so, the colonists world view
had altered so much that a break was inevitable.
Jan/AElfwyn