[Regia-NA] De-nailing the walnut floor

J K Siddorn kim.siddorn at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 09:32:54 EST 2004

The floor recovery went well. I wasn't involved with the dawn raid into Canary Wharf on a Sunday morning after Christmas
that brought home the floor, but tongued and grooved 7/8" walnut it is, all six thousand quids worth of it! Much
indebted to Paul and Jan-Ellen Harriman.

There were seven of us at the denailing day last Sunday, and Andrew and Marnie turned up during the afternoon, a welcome
relief as we were flagging rather!

It is obvious that we are all used to working together as a team, as  - without task designation - we quickly fell into
a pattern of work according to skills. We'd decided that as the planks were all nail gunned through the tongue, it would
wreck the surface if we tried to remove them, so each one was cut off flush with an angle grinder. There were three of
us doing that, two sorting, one stacking and one flitting to and fro keeping the grinders supplied and removing the
finished planks. A nail every foot, it took us two hours and none of us got skagged on a nail or grooved with a cutting
disk.

Lunch time - thanks to Liz for the sandwiches -  then we bundled the short bits in fives and the long ones in threes,
piling them up on three scaffold planks poised on two specially made low, sturdy trestles. As we neared the end, the
trestle dug in and keeled over. We pulled it all off again and I discovered then that Kevin and Paul had worked out the
weight by weighing a plank and extrapolating from that to the known area, establishing the weight at some 1,300 kilos -
which explained why the trestles had dug in!  We piled it all up again and ran off quick before it repeated its decline.

It is enough to cover 20% of the floor area of the Longhall, the high status end, I'd think ;o))

Pics at

http://community.webshots.com/album/113880686LceeqI/1

on the new Wychurst album, Feb. '04

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,
Regia Anglorum

This e-mail is confidential, legally privileged and - unless otherwise stated in the message body - is intended for the
sole attention of the addressee. If you are not this person, please do not read, save, re-transmit or print the
information it contains. Views expressed herein may or may not be the established policy of Regia Anglorum.

Weekly updated anti-virus software was used in the generation of this e-mail and any attachments, but it is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that their incoming mail is virus free.