[Regia-NA] Re: [Regia] Clamavi

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:56:02 -0500

Martin Field wrote:
> And a happy new year to the Pluperfects - wherever they are !   :-))
> Martin

Here in Atlantia part of the Queen's arms are an ermined scallop.
They've been trying to get that changed for years. Furry clam and all.
Some early Herald had an odd sense of humor. I believe it carries on
to this day. It is not on the Kingdom website either.

>>I'll give the pluperfects and the subjunctives a miss, if you don't mind.
>
> ;>
>
>>Happy New Year, all!
>>

>>Carolyn Priest-Dorman              Þóra Sharptooth
>>  http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html

Good Lord, Carolyn, you'e almost my age and you actually remember
all that stuff? [Now she'll kill me on sight.]
I am in awe of your remembery.

One of George Patton's former captains literally beat it
into us and I cannot remember it nearly forty years later.
And I could once sight read Caesar and Livy, not
that they were all that difficult...
I buy my Roman military books and journals mostly in English now.

Missing a declension or conjugation could get us beat like
Sarge on Beetle Bailey (a really out of date American Army
cartoon - they are still driving Shermans and jeeps).
You really didn't want to flunk a test.
It took all of five seconds for Capt. Reid to grab one student,
throw him over the desk, jerk open a drawer, grab a frat paddle
and smack him five times after he caught sight of him coming
through the door. I never suspected that mad old man could move
that fast. [His son was a senior one year and the most sadistic
one we had. I saw two students beat purple from just above the
knees to the kidneys by him with a frat paddle over room
inspections. They were new and had no idea how to clean their
room to suit him. It went on for two weeks. Then he rotated.
I didn't realize how bad it was for them until I saw them in
gym class. I really would call the cops now as an adult but
hadn't the sense as an early teenager in the sixties.]

One would think Latin would still be nailed into my mind.

I understand why the Third Army charged the Germans.
It was safer than remaining with their own officers.
Even if you were riding in one of the Sherman Ronsons.
During the first Gulf War the officers were saying you really
haven't fought anyone until you have fought the Germans.
That is the American military's measuring stick for foes.
Well, they never fought Patton.

Reid would have made a great centurion with a twisted
grape vine stick. He always talked about their fighting
methods - getting close enough in to put your chin on
your opponent's shoulder when you used the gladius.
Ripping guts out with the pilum. I don't know where he
is now but I bet the Devil threw him out. Probably
perpetual Purgatory. I intend to be cremated with an
axe in each hand just in case.

My third year latin was had back in public school after I
trounced one of the seniors severely (and told off the
headmaster after three years of his little hell hole) for
trying that with me and Latin was MUCH easier. I'd grown
big enough by then to defend myself adequately.

I should have taken Greek, it was the only other language
taught at the boarding school and was by the Episcopal priest
which would have been much safer. He also taught Bible studies
and world religion and I never once saw him beat anybody.
Given a choice Greek just seemed harder. Little did I know.

Now Swedish or German I could currently have a use for.
I'm currently ordering a bunch of Hedeby/Haithabu books.

Oh yes, I read last night in Blade magazine where a
64 year old, 190 pound Canadian turkey farmer was attacked
by a 200 pound (somewhat starved and maddened) black bear
and killed him like Daniel Boone with a 4" bladed belt knife.
The bear had apparently had it's jaw broken by another
bear about a month before. But the farmer had thirteen clawmarks
on his body and head. Tough man. Both fought it out standing.
Three stabs to the body, one severing a heart vessel, and one
to the neck. Oct 29th.

I once walked up on a 300 pound bear on a high ridge,
killed close by a week later, with only a side knife and
backed down that very steep mountain quite carefully for
a ways. At the time it was turning over rocks and they
were rolling down the stone face of the mountain. I was
on my way to get some stuff out of a cave we kids had up
there. As the area had also recently been logged there
were limbs everywhere as well.

Bears can't run down a steep hill very well, but neither
could I in that situation.

As as kid I knew one guy who'd chase whitetail deer up the
mountain sides and kill them with a knife when they wore out.
Those weren't the little dog-sized West Virginia deer you
see by the side of I-77 on the way to Pennsic either. I
saw about a hundred the last trip back. Put longer ears
on them and you'd have the fabled Jackelope.
That would be a jack rabbit with horns.
Sometimes taxidermists do them for fun.

Magnus