[Regia-NA] futhark numbers

Arthur shutterbug49 at att.net
Thu Dec 2 23:27:52 EST 2004

Thanks. I would love to have the photo. Please send it to c10ckjartan at yahoo.com because it can handle the attachment better.
Thank you very much.
Kjartan.

When am I?

-----Original Message-----
From:	Folo Watkins [SMTP:folo at advancenet.net]
Sent:	Thursday, December 02, 2004 5:09 PM
To:	list-Regia-NA
Subject:	Re: [Regia-NA] futhark numbers

When I was at the Danish National Museum a few years, I found the runestick
calendar, postdating the Viking era and not really a futrhark but still
interesting. Numbers were indicated by a hash mark system. As I understood
it, the creator marked off days of a journey on "trees." Unfortunately, I'm
uncertain of exactly what the marks meant, and I have no indication that it
was used during earlier times, but it's the closest I've found. Few of
these runesticks, being made ofwood, survived.

There apparently isn't a place to post photos here like on the Yahoo
groups; but I'll be happy to send you my photo of the runestick if you want
to take a gander at it. If anyone knows more about these runestick
calendars, I'd love to know. I was in a hurry in the museum getting as many
photographs as I could!

Folki

list-Regia-NA site list
list-Regia-NA at lig.net