[Regia-NA] Turn shoes - HELP!

Linda Rice list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:36:07 -0400

Hi Eric!

In addition to the great info that has already been given, may I suggest =
you sign up for the new
"medieval shoes" yahoo list? There are a lot of very nice people there =
who know a great deal about
shoes and leatherwork. (Not that there aren't nice folks here too!)  =
Check the archives for answers
to a lot of common questions. The list is only a month or so old, so it =
won't take that long.  I
did a really long post there on how to make duct tape foot models, which =
sparked a lively thread in
which I came to realize that I have *so* much to learn about shoemaking!

~ For starters, I would go with a 3-4 oz *vegetable* tanned leather for =
the uppers, and maybe 6-7
oz for the soles.=20
~ I would roughly guesstimate about 4-5 square feet for your shoes, =
depending on complexity of
style. Simple shoes might take a bit less.=20
~ Look at Marc's website to get an idea of patterns. Go simple to start.
~ Make your shoes just a hair larger than your feet, although they will =
definitely stretch as you
wear them. This will also allow for any insoles you might need to use. =
For padding, you can't beat
a nice thickly-fulled nalbinded pad. In my town there is an army-navy =
surplus store that sells
these incredibly thick wool felt boot liners that lots of folks use. =
Those puppies are about 1/2
thick and work like a charm. I'm not talking about the kind that go over =
your feet, these only go
into the bottom of the shoe under your foot.=20

Once you have chosen your pattern, it's a handy trick to make your shoes =
out of craft felt before
you cut your leather. Felt is stiff enough to give you an idea of what =
your shoes will look like,
and that way you can tweak them until you have a pattern that you are =
confident in. Get it at the
fabric store, and get the heaviest kind they sell. Yep, there is =
actually a choice, at least around
here. It isn't expensive and will save you mucho headaches later.

Using a spray bottle of water is a Very Good Idea, both when stitching =
and when trying to turn the
shoes right-side out.
Use waxed linen thread to sew with, or if you have artificial sinew =
split it so that it isn't so
fat.=20

Hope this is helpful- if you have more questions please ask!

Pax,  ::Linda::

=A0-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Eric M. Lyman
Subject: [Regia-NA] Turn shoes - HELP!

I have decided recently to try my hand and a pair of turn shoes (the =
Jorvik ankle boot type) and I
have a few questions. I=92ve read several web sites and have a few =
patterns of the ankle boot that
I=92d like to try.  My questions are this:

1. What weight leather should I use?
2. I wear a size 9 to 9 =BD (US measurement, 8.5 UK and 42.5 European), =
about how many square feet
(US measurement) of leather will I need?
3. Which pattern would be easiest or best for a first timer?
4. Do I need a heavier weight for soles or do I even need to attach a =
separate sole?
5. Should I make the boots to fit the foot or should I make them a bit =
larger to accommodate
stockings?
6. Can prescription inner soles be used inside and how would one pad the =
shoe bottom?

Any other ideas suggestions or comments please let me know via the =
internet posts.  I really need
some help on this info.

Thanks, Eric M. Lyman
Baton Rouge, LA