[Regia-NA] hemp fiber

Jan Ward list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:03:42 -0700 (PDT)

I have seen hemp fiber, both for spinning and as yarn
for weaving and jewelry making. I haven't looked it up
lately, but seems like Village Weaving and Spinning in
Solvang, Ca. was carrying some. They have both fiber
and yarns, as well as some natural dyes. Think they
have a web page, too.
When I was affiliated with a local weaving store one
of the other associates was carrying hemp, and I think
there's some at the local WalMart, in the crafts
section, for making macrame bead jewelry.
All the stuff I've seen has been fairly coarse, so I
wasn't interested and never bought any. It also wasn't
a whole lot cheaper than flax.
I think there's no problem with importing fiber, we're
just not allowed to grow it here.
Edwinna