[Regia-NA] Introductions

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:40:02 +0100

Hi Juan,

I'll let my transatlantic friends give you a more formal welcome to the
list, and the wonderful world of Regia.

'Getting started' and 'blacksmithing'; where to begin?

For smithing you'd have to start off with the report on the Mastermyr =
hoard
of tools as a starting point. [Can someone cite the biblios for Juan =
please,
I'm at work sans library]. Kim Siddorn's book on Viking Weapons and =
Warfare
includes a good summary section on ironworking on our period. The York
report on the iron finds from Coppergate illustrates a lot of possible
projects, useful tools, and includes a section on ironworking. I have =
some
other handy books at home, such as Early Irish Ironworking.  Magnus =
could
probably supply you with an exhaustive bibliography [hello Magnus, glad
Isabel avoided you - I'd hate to think what it could have done to your
library :)].

Welcome aboard, feel free to pick our brains [though some days I'm =
afraid
they're a wee bit mushy].

Gu=F0rum