[Regia-NA] Geteld construction

Mark Patchett list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:18:17 -0400

Hi Edwinna,

None of the tents we've built have an actual sewn sleeve for the
crossbar.
When you put up the tent and stand inside, you can look up and see the
pole, with the canvas that forms the roof folded over top of it.
The 2 ends of the ridge pole stick out of the tent through small holes
at the top of each of the bells.

The 1st style of tent ( Foote's tent) has a reinforced cap that ties to
the outside of the tent, and also gives you a good place to decorate it.

http://www.regia.ca/images/saxon_village/geteld6.html

The 2nd style ( Edward's tent) has a 2nd layer of canvas sewn inside
along the ridge.
It also has a small extension sewn on at each end of the pole, to cover
the hole in the tent where the ridge pole sticks out.
http://www.regia.ca/images/saxon_village/geteld9.html

I've found that being able to lift the side of the tent during the day,
to use as a canopy works really well.

I would guess that cotton duck would work for the cover ( we used
10-ounce cotton canvas, which had been treated for water and fire
resistance ).
I think Foote's tent used 136' of fabric ( > 45 yards), and my large
tent used 147' ( 49 yards ), so you may not have quite enough for either
of those.  I believe you should easily get the smaller tent out of 40
yards though.

Please let me know if you have any more questions,

Edward, Wynmerestow ( Mark Patchett, Ontario, Canada )