[Regia-NA] Re: Copper cauldrons

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:56:03 +0200 (CEST)

------=_Part_3915_18885126.1063976163908

One reason I would be circumspect about using them for cooking, other than their being copper, is the source.  I remember watching a documentary in the UK about the metals industry in India, where I would almost bet these are made (although I don't remember any tag other than "not for food use").  There is a lot of scrap metal used in products coming out of India.  In most cases the scrap was from metal objects used in dangerous processes...chemical drums, medical waste containers, and even radioactive containers!  The program (or programme) was mainly about the horrible and dangerous conditions that a good deal of Indian children are forced to work in when retreiving this scrap...including cutting into old petrol tanks and ship hulks that have been beached for scrap.  It really changed my mind about buying cheap products from India, including the inexpensive weapons and armor that are carried by a lot of the bigger name catalog outlets.
Bill

Message date : Sep 17 2003, 02:51 PM