[Regia-NA] boats and 'broidery

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:47:17 +0100

> I know of no merchant or - any other vessel -  from the=20
> Viking Age (say 750
> 1100?) with a transom and stern rudder.
>=20

Nope. I also have reservations about one or two other parts of Mr.
Griffith's book. I don't own a copy, but have had several excerpts =
mailed to
me previously. A lot of extrapolation and inferences with 20/20 =
hindsight
rather than substantiated evidence was the overiding impression.

Gu=F0rum

PS My comment on the York reliquary pouch is being taken out of context =
- it
was a postscipt to an earlier message to Jennifer. We were discussing =
extant
examples of Anglo-Saxon secular embroidery from Britain. I would also
maintain that it is not significant in illustrating the breadth of =
patterns
available to Anglo-Saxon secular seamstresses.
It's about the same size as my silk reliquary pouch which houses the =
group
relic, one of St. Wilgefort's finger bones :).