[Regia-NA] Mantle question

Jan Ward list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:59:15 -0800 (PST)

I made a mantle to wear for SCA, using the description
in Gale Owen-Crocker's book (Oval, longer in back).
I used a keyhole neckline, so it would fit closer
around my neck, and I lined it with fake sheepskin
fleece. It's a tan wool, in a plain weave.
Will this pass for Regia use? Where do I send pictures
of my stuff to have it checked for authenticity?
Also, the mantle, being longer (and thus heavier)in
back tends to slip back until the bottom of the
keyhole opening is pressing against my throat. It
seems to me that this would have been a problem in
period, too. Even pinning it to the dress in front
would not keep it in place, it would just pull the
dress up also. How did they manage?
Edwinna