[Regia-NA] viking bows

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:51:46 -0500

I'll use one reply to summarize my side of this tired debate.

> And its certainly not an issue to stomp off, take your toys and going
> to play elsewhere over.

Well now that's not true. The National Missiles Officer of Regia
Anglorum has failed my "toys". I have no choice but to bugger off with
them. I accept that this is how it works and respect his authority. It
still saddens me so.

    I'm going as far as I can with my limited means and modest
education. My ilk stems from the large quantity of money spent on, in
retrospect, bad advice and bows that cannot be used at a regia event.
Also seems like the Barony of Bergental in the East Kingdom of the SCA
has some odd quirks that have mislead me as well. In the Baronial
Tourney I was the only long bow shooter in an event that included sun
glasses and L.L. Bean hunting seats. (Carolyn: The one rule that
matters is that the Marshall in Charge has final say and if I ignore it
and step to the line I will be banned). The reason I didn't settle on
the SCA is that some members don't have any more regard for
authenticity than your average Ren Faire.

History is nothing but an authenticity debate. The search for the truth
is nothing if not elusive. I voiced my opinion with no ill intent. I
didn't mean to become the polluter of pure men's souls. I assume that
all the Regia standards were the result of such debates? Beer soaked
and load at times? Are they over?

I have a philosophy that says, "I may disagree with very intelligent
people". Some feel that they will only disagree with idiots because all
smart people always agree with them. I disagree with this one aspect of
Regia regarding backing on bows. I feel it is a great organization of
great people with a wealth of knowledge that I am glad to have access
to. I still disagree on this point if only because I have to get
another bow if I want to participate. What if I ever choose to debate a
serious issue like women in combat?!?!?

   If Regia does not appreciate a good debate I will excuse myself with
no hard feelings. It is a hobby after all and there's lots of great
people in the SCA I can share my interest with. I'm not above being
some odd man who hacks at a post with a dull blade in his back yard
while wearing chain maille (probably in-authentic).  If I ever feel the
need to butt heads with an intellectual superior I can call my sister
or any SCA Laurel.

   Like Herbie the Elf and Rudolf the Red Nodes Reindeer, "even among
misfits, I'm a misfit."