[Regia-NA] viking bows

list-regia-na@lig.net list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:31:37 +0100 (CET)

------=_Part_4379_14497484.1067196697048

"The linen backing is a safety issue. Self-bows will
break. Fiber backings help save the bow from explosive failure, and I
believe they help control the shards that fly off. There is no provenance
for blunt steel swords but you use them to provide a safe re-enacting
environment. Bows should do the same."
In this circumstance, I think that authenticity out-weighs safety.  To the public, they don't see that the fighting weapons are blunted until close up.  Now if we started adding things like fencing bells to protect the hand...and that would be a definite step up in safety for a warrior...then the public would notice.  Even at a proscribed distance for safety, the public will certainly see linen-backing.

Bill
------=_Part_4379_14497484.1067196697048

<P>"The linen backing is a safety issue. Self-bows will <BR>break. Fiber backings help save the bow from explosive failure, and I <BR>believe they help control the shards that fly off. There is no provenance <BR>for blunt steel swords but you use them to provide a safe re-enacting <BR>environment. Bows should do the same."</P>
<P>In this circumstance, I think that authenticity out-weighs safety.&nbsp; To the public, they don't see that the fighting weapons are blunted until close up.&nbsp; Now if we started adding things like fencing bells to protect the hand...and that would be a definite step up in safety for a warrior...then the public would notice.&nbsp; Even at a proscribed distance for safety, the public will certainly see&nbsp;linen-backing.<BR><BR>Bill</P>
------=_Part_4379_14497484.1067196697048--