[Regia-NA] Working and Decorating Horn

Mike Fuchs list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:15:25 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38E88.EDB10B1E

Does anyone have experience or sources on working horn?  I have a small
lot of cattle horn that I would like to use for Viking style drinking
horns and a few horn tips that could be sliced for buttons / buckles /
belt tips - mounts etc.  However, I have no experience working or
tooling it.  I would also appreciate any information on how these types
of items were decorated, how the drinking horns were carried when not in
use, and how should the inside of the drinking horn be finished for use.
Does it need a beeswax or pitch lining or can it be used in its' natural
state, say after a bit of sanitizing then curing with your drink of
choice?  All information is greatly appreciated.

Carrek

------_=_NextPart_001_01C38E88.EDB10B1E

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
6.0.6249.1">
<TITLE>Working and Decorating Horn</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Do</FONT><FONT =
SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">es anyone have experience or sources on working =
horn?&nbsp; I have a small lot of cattle horn that I would like to use =
for Viking style drinking horns and a few horn tips that could be sliced =
for buttons / buckles / belt tips - mounts etc.&nbsp; However, I have no =
experience working or tooling it.&nbsp; I would also appreciate any =
information on how these types of items were decorated, how the drinking =
horns were carried when not in use, and how should the inside of the =
drinking horn be finished for use.&nbsp; Does it need a beeswax or pitch =
lining or can it be used in its' natural state, say after a bit of =
sanitizing then curing with your drink of choice?&nbsp; All information =
is greatly appreciated.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<P><SPAN LANG=3D"en-us"><FONT SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">Carrek</FONT></SPAN>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>