[Regia-NA] OT- Cooking squirrels & hunting rabbits

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:34:49 -0400

> As for hunting rabbits, I use just a standard .22 air rifle with
> silencer
> and 'scope. You need to get within 50 yards and be a good shot, and
> accept
> that some you hit will still escape down the burrow. Go for head shots
> every
> time, or through the back edge of the foreleg into the heart and lungs
> as a
> last resort if the angle's wrong.
>
> Dawn and dusk are usually the best hunting times. Be down wind, blend
> in and
> move quietly - they've got quite phenomenal hearing.
>
> Being in the states, and firearms being easier as I understand it, go
> for a
> .22 rifle with silencer and a good 'scope, but only if you've got a
> good
> large safe area to shoot. One advantage of a mere air rifle - ricochets
> don't go very far.

In that respect, perhaps the bow and arrow are better. Tough to get
down a burrow with a 30" cedar shaft through your head. For me it was
more a decision of blunts or points. Besides, I hate guns. Granted they
are very practical, effective weapons. If I was ever hunting for
subsistence I would certainly use guns, bait and traps. I'll try the
bow, that'll require either a tremendous accuracy at 20 yards, or
really good stalking. Although, most animals in our area are so used to
humans I don't think getting close represents a suitable challenge.