[Regia-NA] Enough of this domestic talk

Wulfhere se Treowryhta list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:47:16 -0400

German. Hand and a half to be exact. Based on Jochim Meyers ( don't=20
hold me to the spelling) writings in the 14th century. I figured it's=20
as good a basis as any for Viking age combat. The course is offered by=20=

the Higgins Armory Sword Guild in Worcester MA. Jeffrey Forgeng has=20
interpreted the work and is building a training based on it. What I=20
like about it is that it doesn't use armor in practice. So, combatants=20=

must be able to control their blows to the extent that armor becomes a=20=

formality even though all blows are made within range. The basic=20
training form, when done with steel at tempo gives a 100% look and feel=20=

of mortal medieval combat. This is a much safer approach I feel. I=20
partner with my wife. Yesterday while practicing she lost concentration=20=

and made a wrath blow when it was supposed to be a low blow to the left=20=

leg. Because she was doing it right, she stopped a few inches over my=20
skull. I'm sure it was a struggle for her as she probably has a number=20=

of reasons to want to crease my skull. I thank her deeply for her=20
restraint. I think it needs to be done that way.