[Regia-NA] Suitable Swords

Steve Etheridge list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:44:58 +0000

>From: Pete James

>There is regular discussion on whether this or that sword is suitable for
>Vikings/Regia style combat, and over the weekend I was sent an on-line link
>to these guys.
>
>http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Live_Steel.html

If they are from the manufacturer that they look like...

Well, the blades will be of very good quality in terms of strength and
spring.  The handles are good and solid.  However, watch for the hilts -
examples such as PC-12, for instance, have very pointed ends to the
crossguard.  Authentic, and quite dangerous to you opponent - well able to
take out an eye.  I have seen one balanced on it's tip fall under it's own
weight and embed itself into a floor.  After that, we banned them.

The other safety issue is the fact that the blades look pointed at the end -
again, authentic, but potentially dangerous.  This is odd, as the examples
of this manufacturer that I have seen have all had rounded ends - if, of
course, it is the smithy that I have been thinking of.

It's difficult to MaA dep and AO using only web info.  I believe that this
smithy does Regia approved blades anyway, so you _might_ be able to get a
good one.  Again, it's always caveat emptor

Steve