[Regia-NA] Re: Viking Seax

Pete James list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:36:36 -0000

Hi

I cannot imagine why it has happened, but this email was posted by me =
almost
5 weeks ago, and suddenly it's re-appeared on all the lists it was sent =
to.

I can only assume Yahell is playing silly b*ggers again.

Pete - Gu=F0ro=F0 Of Colanhomm

"Literature stops in 1100. After that it's just books"
J.R.R. Tolkien

-----Original Message-----
From: guthroth [mailto:guthroth@btinternet.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 9:43 PM
To: The-Vikings-List@yahoogroups.com; Norsefolk@yahoogroups.com;
California_Viking_Age@yahoogroups.com; list-regia-na@lig.net
Subject: [Regia-NA] Re: Viking Seax

Hi

I knew I'd seen some, but it's taken a couple of days just to find one
illustration and one other reference !

The Viking Achievement PP181
Foote & Wilson 1970 (sorry no ISBN)

Refering to the grave of a 10thC smith found at Bygland, Morgedal, =
Norway
"The inventory is fantastic: 4 swords, 4 spearheads, 7 axes. 2
shield-bosses, 9 knives, 13 arrowheads, 14 rattles and 8 bits ....... "

Unfortunately it gives no illustrations.

The Vikings PP 154 - 155
Else Roesdahl 1991 (still no ISBN - sorry)

"Opposite:rich male grave from Birka, Sweden, 10th C."
"Large Knife (2), a knife (10)

This has one image of the whole grave, and I've scanned it from the =
book.
It's a bit big, and although I've cut it down for convenience it it's =
still
800kb.

I will post the image direct to anyone who asks for it, as well as the =
image
sections of the California, Norsefolk and The-Vikings lists on Monday.

Pete - Gu=F0ro=F0 of Colanhomm

Literature stops in 1100.
After that it's just books

J.R.R. Tolkien