[Regia-NA] Raised helmets & conspiracy theories

nathan list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:28:55 -0000

The helm i am talking about is not of the Strong type (the one in "the museum of
the city of kiev") but a different form (with eyebrows and nasal).  The text
suggests it may be made from 4 overlapping plates but i can't see them in the
piccy (mildly confusing as it's only a sentence worth in the text).  The second
helm is from the "national museum of the history of the ukrane, kiev".

piccy at www.nathanspage.co.uk/piccys/kievhelm.jpg

What i was trying to say was that given the issues highlighted by the 'Strong'
helm we might be best taking the other helm from Kiev with a pinch of salt.

> Also, its worth mentioning that another helm very similar to the Kiev
> helm, the "Strong" helm, was just recently proven to be a WWII relic.
> I would bet money that the Kiev helm has the same origins
>
> see more info on this here
http://www.missouri.edu/~rls555/SCA/research/helms/StrongKiev.htm

Sorry for any inclarity in my origional message.
N.