[Regia-NA] Raised helmets & conspiracy theories

Schuster, Robert L. list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:49:33 -0600

The kiev helm that tweddle mentions in [The Anglian Helmet from =
Coppergate, D
Tweddle] (page 1132, fig 566) is also a 1 piece (no idea of the date) =
that
follows the same parameters as the wenceslaus, in that it has a more =
domed
profile (i.e. not as conical as the olmutz).  Now given the fact that =
the
immediateley preceeding [in the book] helm is not medieval and is from =
the same
area this might be best discounted.

--Nathan

I am a little unclear of what you are saying above but unless there are =
two helms of that name the Kiev helm is not a one piecer, its of spangen =
construction.

Also, its worth mentioning that another helm very similar to the Kiev =
helm, the "Strong" helm, was just recently proven to be a WWII relic. I =
would bet money that the Kiev helm has the same origins

see more info on this here =
http://www.missouri.edu/~rls555/SCA/research/helms/StrongKiev.htm

please disregard this if you already knew it and I misunderstood your =
post.

Halvgrimr