[Regia-NA] New Woodwright's Shop Videos

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 23:30:06 -0500

You might want to save this post for further perusal
as the website at PBS hasn't been updated with season
23 of the Woodwright's Shop, which is already half through.

There was an outstanding video yesterday on the
Woodwright's Shop on Carving with Rick Cavallo.
New and definitely worth ordering. You see him pencil/crayon
out the design, modify it to suit himself for acanthus
carving {and letter cutting) and set it in and carve it.
This would be season 23 which is not up yet apparently
but try calling the number below since it is not on the
webpage: 1-800-PlayPBS It was at the end of the video
with the title.
or
http://www.shoppbs.com/ search Woodwright's Shop.
NTSC format which is only good for North America though.

Some of the recent ones were building a wooden workbench
that comes apart for transporting. That was a double
program. This would also be season 23.

The week after that was a program on inlaying white dogwood
strip into compass cut arc grooves in a dark wood like walnut
and accenting it with round dots of woods of contrasting
colors whose holes were cut by auger. Season 23.
The compasses were special made for the purpose and fixed
in position. Wood with inset blades and pivots of metal.

Last season there was another good carving video called
Carving with the Cabinetmakers. At $15 U.S. plus shipping
they are quite reasonably priced. The speed these guys
can carve with is amazing and it looks really easy once
you understand the basic concept of carving with the
grain.

The marquetry master was also quite good. That is there.

The turned corner chair is a triangular backed one from
one of Brueghel's Dutch painting and is late period.
Turned at an early lathe.

The gunsmith video involved inlaying silver wire into
the stock of the gun, not making the whole gun.

These things don't stay available indefinitely.
Usually only for two to three years at most.
Although there have been special collections of
some of the European shows that were for sale for a while.

Roy Underhill, author of many early skills woodworking
books, passed show number 200 some time ago. While you
will see him cut himself (possibly why book six hasn't
appeared yet in the series) multiple times you will
not see an electrically powered tool in the series.
He was the Colonial Williamsburg head carpenter for
many years and now is Director of Historical Interpretation.
Like me I suppose he's gotten too old, or at least his
muscles have. There are a lot fewer older craftsmen
than younger ones. They wear out or become set-up
men or foremen.

The Fools for Tools video simply takes you to a local
(to me in NC) http://www.mwtca.org/ meeting for tool
collectors and users. If you explore the site you will
find it has a link to the Early American Crafts Association
website, which society has been writing articles on how
things were historically done from as far back as they
could research it since 1933. I recently bought the first
two twenty-five years each volumes. They are very informative
on many crafts and trades and home skills as they were
done pre electricity. The third volume would come out
about 2008-10 I suppose, but they have a journal as the
MWTCA does on old tools. Both organizations sell books
on tools and crafts. The EAIA has one with fifty selected
articles currently for sale.

Master Magnus, OL, Great Barony of Windmasters' Hill [SCA],
Regia.org / Manx / GDH © R.M. Howe 2003
Everyone contributes - Everyone learns. - me.

Please do not forward to a usenet newsgroup like the Rialto.
Your local kingdom, group, or friends are fine.