[Regia-NA] Domestic Wooden Artifacts in Britain

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:06:06 -0500

It took me several years to find this thing and
multiple (4?) attempts to buy it. Now the thing is
available at the biggest booksellers. Go figure.

This is not a large format book. I would only buy it if
I were really interested in the subject of early
wooden working in which case it is one of the
better ones. Keep in mind a lot of things survive
in wet contexts. I don't remember it being definitive
though, nor is it highly illustrative. Some of the
stuff in it is a bit amazing though.

Shirebooks.com has something along with line of
Wood in Archaeology that isn't too bad.
Archaeology by Experiment also wasn't too bad.

Earwood, Caroline:
Domestic Wooden Artifacts in Britain and
Ireland to Viking Times
University of Exeter Press
Hardcover, 320pp, December 1993, ISBN: 0859893898,
136 pls & figs, cloth, dust jacket, small quarto.
An excellent survey & classification of items mainly
from wetland sites including buckets, bowls etc.

Barnes & Noble.com  bn.com
[United States] Hardcover, ISBN: 0859893898
Publisher: University of Exeter Press
Free shipping in the US (see site for details) $79.95

Amazon.com
[United States] Hardcover, ISBN: 0859893898
Publisher: University of Exeter Press $85.00

Note: Amazon has free shipping on anything over $25
now and it's getting particularly good on heavy
discounts on CDs and movies. Something to keep in
mind for Christmas.  I give our nieces cash value
cards from the bookstores and let them get what they
want.

I remember too well the cheesy plastic gifts
we so often got from our uncles and aunts. Plastic
pens with four color cartridges for example. One
decided I liked hot ginger candy and over the next dozen
years we accumulated a cupboard shelf full of the stuff
that no one would eat. I couldn't believe it when it
came with us when we changed houses. It may still be
there nearly 40 years later. Maybe it repels roaches.
As my step-father just died maybe someone will finally
throw it out. None of us kids live near there anymore.

This year the wife and I sent many small boxes of
gifts to the troops in the Gulf. DVDs, carving kits I made
up, new novels, colorful stationery and greeting cards for
them to send to their children, wives, parents. Hard candy
and assorted gums, hygiene items. Those noble volunteers are
there to protect you.  To do it the easy way:
http://www.usometrodc.org/care.html

Master Magnus, OL,
Barony of Windmasters Hill [SCA], Regia.org, Manx, GDH