[Regia-NA] MR Viking Sword Video Question

Jack Garrett list-regia-na@lig.net
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:59:06 -0800 (PST)

--0-714883218-1068926346=:3910

Conall,

I've got the Viking Sword video and last watched it about six months ago.  I recommend it, especially for those of us who have limited access to Viking era live steel combat.  The combatants are experienced, reasonably properly dressed for the occasion and put some energy into the re-enactments.  It includes four sections: sword vs. sword, sword and shield without armor, sword and shield with minimal armor and (later period) sword and shield with full armor.

Most compellingly, the video makes a point of recognizing *how* the weapons do the most damage and shows that the shield is something more than a target for your opponent to destroy.

Several caveats:
(1) They use the metal-rimmed Museum Replicas Viking shield, which I haven't seen any documentation to support
(2) It's narrated, with participation, by Hank Reinhardt (not everyone's favorite authority)

Beyond that, I've seen, and own, far worse.  Osweald, you saw it at the collegium.  Remember enough to comment?

Ottar/Jack

Conall <conallwolf@multipro.com> wrote:
Greetings all,
Being a relative neophyte and an Irishman on a mainly
Viking/Saxon/Norman list, normally I just lurk, but I have a question.

Museum Replicas Limited has a demo/documentary about the use of the
"Viking" sword on VHS:

http://store.museumreplicas.com/cgi-bin/www11650.storefront

In the past I have owned several Museum Replicas weapons and will
reserve comment on them, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this
videotape, and is it worth owning?

Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Just
trying to decide what to ask for (or not) for Christmas.

Thanks,

Conall

--0-714883218-1068926346=:3910

<DIV>Conall,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I've got the Viking Sword video and last watched it about six months ago.&nbsp; I recommend it, especially for those of us who have limited access to Viking era live steel combat.&nbsp; The combatants are experienced, reasonably properly dressed for the occasion and put some energy into the re-enactments.&nbsp; It includes four sections: sword vs. sword, sword and shield without armor, sword and shield with minimal armor and (later period) sword and shield with full armor.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most compellingly, the video makes a point of recognizing *how* the weapons do the most damage and shows that the shield is something more than a target for your opponent to destroy.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Several caveats: </DIV>
<DIV>(1) They use the metal-rimmed Museum Replicas Viking shield, which I haven't seen any documentation to support</DIV>
<DIV>(2) It's narrated, with participation, by Hank Reinhardt (not everyone's favorite authority)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Beyond that, I've seen, and own, far worse.&nbsp; Osweald, you saw it at the collegium.&nbsp; Remember enough to comment?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ottar/Jack<BR><BR><B><I>Conall &lt;conallwolf@multipro.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Greetings all,<BR>Being a relative neophyte and an Irishman on a mainly<BR>Viking/Saxon/Norman list, normally I just lurk, but I have a question.<BR><BR>Museum Replicas Limited has a demo/documentary about the use of the<BR>"Viking" sword on VHS:<BR><BR>http://store.museumreplicas.com/cgi-bin/www11650.storefront<BR><BR>In the past I have owned several Museum Replicas weapons and will<BR>reserve comment on them, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this<BR>videotape, and is it worth owning?<BR><BR>Any information anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Just<BR>trying to decide what to ask for (or not) for Christmas.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Conall<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>list-regia-na mailing list<BR>list-regia-na@lig.net<BR>http://www.lig.net/mailman/listinfo/list-regia-na</BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-714883218-1068926346=:3910--